Kia ora whānau!
We are being presented with our piupiu next Friday, 26th May in the school hall.
This is a very important occasion for our roopu and Kapa Haka whānau. They have been made especially for our roopu and there has been a lot of planning and huge fundraising effort to acquire them.
The kuia who made them is travelling from Opotiki in the Bay of Plenty to present them. We are holding a mihi whakatau (welcome) ceremony on the Friday, 26th May.
Please see timetable below.
If you can help with tamoko, kakahu, make-up and tying up of piupiu please email Steph McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org W
e will need at least 8 parents in the P.Arts/Māori room to help from 8.30am on the Friday morning.
Mihi Whakatau - Piupiu Presentation - Friday, 26th May(The foyer and outside area in front of the hall needs to be free of shoes, bags, scooters etc)
Years 1 - 8 Students
9:30am - Senior Kapa’s meet and prep in the Performing Arts/Māori room
11:00am - Year 3 -8 sitting behind kapas - (back door only entry- no shoes sitting quietly)
11:15am - Mihi Whakatau
(Men ONLY to be seated in the front line of chairs)
(Females staff/whānau are to be seated from the second row back)
- Karanga - everyone needs to stand in silence as soon as the karanga begins
- Manuhiri will unpack piupiu on whariki (flax mat) and a karakia will be said while we are still standing
- Karakia by Tetuhi where he will then ask everyone to sit for his whaikōrero
- Whaikōrero(speech) - Tetuhi - everyone to sit
- Waiata tautoko - “Kāmuriwai” - everyone stand and sing - Kapas lead it
- Manuhiri whaikōrero - (guest speech)
- Manuhiri waiata tautoko
- Hariru - hongi
- Senior Kapas performance - Ngā iwi e, Kia tau and Ko wai ra (Haka)
- Y3 - 8 Students depart through back door and go to interval
- Morning tea for adults only in hall/kitchen while Kapas kids get changed go to interval
Please feel free to come along and tautoko all the hard mahi we have engaged in to achieve this amazing objective. Just let Karen or Paul know so we get a rough estimate of numbers.